Frequently Asked Questions
Here, you will find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the Cielo system. If you can't find an answer to your question here, please, contact us by e-mail: email@example.com.
- 1. I would like to get a personal credit card. What should I do?
- Visit the www.visa.com.br website, click on the "Contact" button, there you will find the telephone numbers for our issuing banks.
- 2. What do I need to do to join Cielo?
- To join our network, first merchants need to have a business account at one of Cielo's shareholder banks, following which they can ask their account managers to enroll their business.
- Following an analysis of the company's application, VisaNet Brasil will contact the company's owner or representative to confirm the company's data and make arrangements for terminals to be sent. Next, the merchant will be mailed the Cielo agreement and Visa's signage material.
- 3. How do I find out which fees will be deducted from my Visa card sales?
- The amount of the fee is determined by the type of industry in which the company operates. Your account manager will inform you of the cost of fees during your company's enrollment.
- 4. How do I sign-up with Visa Vale?
- To sign-up with Visa Vale, merchants need to have an account at one of Visa Vale's shareholder banks and have their account manager enroll their company.
- 5. What type of business is able to accept Visa Vale payments?
- Refeição Visa Vale - Can be accepted by merchants that sell prepared foods, such as: Frozen Food Stores, Bakeries, Delicatessens, Rotisseries, Convenience Stores (including those located in Gas Stations), Restaurants, Bars, Diners, Cafeterias, Fast-Food Restaurants, and Hotels (Restaurant located in Hotels).
- Alimentação Visa Vale - Can be accepted by merchants that sell unprocessed food, such as: Warehouses, Greengrocers, Agricultural Cooperatives, Wholesalers, Butcher Shops, Fishmongers and Poultry Shops, Supermarkets, Grocery Stores, Frozen Food Stores, Candy and Pastry Shops, Dairy Product Stores, Bakeries, Delicatessens, Rotisseries, and Convenience Stores (including those located in Gas Stations).
- 6. How can I sign-up with Cielo in order to sell through the BNDES portal?
- BNDES is aimed at providing micro, small and mid-size companies with a credit line, designed to finance the purchase of machines and equipment manufactured in Brazil. To sign-up, visit the www.cartaobndes.gov.br website, click on "Be an Accredited Supplier" and complete the affiliation form.
- 7. Where do I find more information about the CDC credit line (Consumer Direct Credit), offered through Visa Electron cards?
- Cielo has a special FAQ page which can help to answer all of your CDC questions. Click here.
Merchants that already accept or would like to accept payment in installments have the opportunity to offer another excellent payment option to customers who have a Visa Electron debit card. This option is called CDC Visa Electron, a product that not only makes cardholders’ lives easier—since it enables customers to pay for their purchases in installments—but it is also a key tool for merchants because it can help them increase their revenue.
1. What is CDC Visa Electron?
CDC Visa Electron is a line of credit, with previously fixed interest rates, offered by Visa Electron card issuing banks to their cardholders. With CDC Visa Electron, cardholders can use their debit cards to finance their purchases.
2. What are the differences between the various types of CDC Visa Electron credit lines (Genérico, Material de Construção and PC Conectado)?
CDC Genérico (Generic CDC): This credit is provided to cardholders by the bank that issued their card, and can be used to buy any product or service. All merchants that accept Visa Electron are also able to accept CDC Genérico.
CDC Material de Construção (CDC Construction Materials): This is a type of credit provided to cardholders by the banks that issue their cards and can only be used to buy civil construction materials, such as basic materials, hydraulic equipment, electrical materials, and like materials. Acceptance of this type of payment is limited to construction material retailers who have entered into an agreement with an FAT-accredited institution (currently, only Banco do Brasil). Merchants are not required to have an account with this bank, only an agreement.
PC Conectado (Connected PC): This is a type of credit provided to cardholders by the banks that issue their cards and can only be used to buy computers. Acceptance of this type of payment is limited to IT retailers who have entered into an agreement with an FAT-accredited institution (currently, only Banco do Brasil). Merchants are not required to have an account with this bank, only an agreement.
3. What are the main advantages for merchants?
Assured payment: CDC works just like a debit card sale and the sales amount is credited in full into the merchant’s account, one business day after the sale;
Security: All sales require a PIN number; assurance of payment;
Speed: Transactions are 100% automated;
Another payment option: You will have the ability to offer a financing option to your customers, and many more customers, with pre-approved credit limits, will be attracted to your business to make their purchases.
4. I have already signed-up with Cielo, but have not contracted CDC Visa Electron. What do I need to do to enable it on my electronic terminal?
All merchants who have an electronic terminal and who are able to accept Visa Electron cards are also able to accept CDC Genérico. Merchants must sign an agreement with Banco do Brasil only if they will use CDC Material de Construção and/or CDC PC Conectado. (Merchants are not required to have an account with this bank).
5. How can I receive the funds from my CDC Visa Electron card sales and how long does it take?
Your funds are automatically credited into the same bank account where you receive all of your other Cielo credits, one business day after the sale.
6. How can I cancel a CDC Visa Electron sales transaction?
If the sale is to be canceled on the same day it was made, you can cancel it using your own POS terminal. Otherwise, contact our Customer Service—4002-5472 (metropolitan regions) or 0800 570 8472 (other locations)—Monday through Saturday, from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
7. How many installments can cardholders have to pay for their CDC Visa Electron purchases?
For information regarding the maximum number of installments and minimum value of each installment, as well as their interest rates, cardholders should contact the bank that issued their card.
8. Will the amount of a cardholder’s installments change if there is a change in the monthly interest rate?
No. The value of the installment is fixed and the interest rate is printed on the Sales Receipt. Remember that cardholders must be aware of all of this information. For any further clarification, cardholders should contact the bank that issued their card.